Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME-NA), October 28-30, 2010, Columbus, OH.
- López Leiva, C. A. (2010, October). Latinas/os Students Juxtaposing Their Mathematical Identities in two contexts, two perspectives, and two languages.(PowerPoint)
Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), September 29-October 3, 2010, Anaheim, California
- López Leiva, C. A., & Velázquez, G. (2010, October). Emergence of language, power, and authority relations in group work. Presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), Anaheim, CA.
- Symposium presented by Aguirre, J., Menéndez, J. M., & Gutiérrez, R.: Mathematics Teaching of Latin@s: Helping the Field Better Understand and Predict the Future of STEM(PowerPoint)
- Aguirre, J. Connecting high cognitive demand and community-based funds of knowledge: New approaches to mathematics teacher preparation (PowerPoint)
- Celedón-Pattichis, S. Implementing standards-based curriculum: Voicing the experiences of an ESL/mathematics teacher.
- Gutiérrez, R. Nesting in Nepantla: How Might a Focus on Uncertainty Better Prepare Teachers for an Equity Stance?(PowerPoint)
- Menéndez, J. M., and Kondek McLeman, L., University/school partnership: Adapting mathematics instruction for Latina and Latino students (PowerPoint)
- Panel Symposium presented by Aguirre, J., & Celedón-Pattichis, S.: Mathematics learning and identity as Latinos/as: Our mathematics, our future.
- Celedón-Pattichis, S.,Implementing Standards-Based Curriculum: Voicing the Experiences of an ESL/Mathematics Teacher. (PowerPoint)
- Turner, E., & Celedón-Pattichis, S. Mathematical problem solving among Latina/o kindergarten students: An analysis of opportunities to learn. PowerPoint)
International Conference of the Learning Sciences, June 29-July 2, 2010, Chicago, Illinois
- Vahey, P., Lara-Meloy, T., Moschkovich, J., Velazquez, G. (2010, June). Representational technology for mathematics and language learners: An investigation of teaching practices.
American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Conference, Denver, Colorado, April 30-May4, 2010
- Celedón-Pattichis, S., Musanti, S., & Marshall, M. E. (2010, April). Placing language, culture, and mathematics at the center: A study of bilingual elementary teachers growth. (PowerPoint)
- Khisty, L. L., & Radosavljevic, A. (2010, April). A Descriptive Analysis of Math Pathways and Pitfalls in a Latina/o Bilingual Classroom. Presented as part of symposium titled: Investigations into Math Pathways and Pitfalls and Reform.
- Thompson, A., and Tellez, K. (2010, April). Shaping the Concept of Academic Language: A Case Study of Five Exemplary Beginning Teachers.
- Wood, M., Teran, G., & Civil, M. (2010, April) "Racing to the Top Through Stopping to Think:Metaphors in Teachers' Talk and National Policy"
- Zahner W. & Moschkovich, J.N. (2010, April). The reflexive role of authority in middle school students peer mathematical discussions.
34th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group, May 21-25, 2010, Burnaby, BC, Canada.
- Civil, M. (2010, May). Learning from and with parents: resources for equity in mathematics education (plenary talk) (PowerPoint)
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Research Presession, San Diego, California, April 19-21, 2010
Judit Moschkovich organized a work session entitled Latino/Latina Learners, Resources, and Mathematical Reasoning
The work session presentations were:
- Burr, L., (2010, April). Latino/Latina Learners, Resources, and Mathematical Reasoning, (Poster)
- Dumitrascu, G. & Tsinnajinnie, B. Reflections on the Negotiation of a Third Space with English Language Learners: Researchers and Students Communicating Mathematical Ideas During Task-Based Interviews (Poster).
- Lopez-Leiva, C., Velazquez, G. M. Realistic Considerations during Proportional Reasoning: Zooming in and out during proportional reasoning tasks. (Poster)
- Ross, K. Making Norms and Activities Relevant for Latino/a Elementary Students in an After School Mathematics Club (Poster)
- Sutton, T. Students Persistence on Logical Reasoning Cryptography Tasks (Poster)
- Zahner W. & Moschkovich, J.N. Bilingual Latino/a middle school students use of two languages during mathematical discussions in peer groups. (Poster)
- Other NCTM Presession presentations
- Kitchen, R. Tools of the Trade: Part 2. Presentation (invited) made in collaboration with Dorothy White, U. of Georgia and the NCTM Research Committee
- Turner, E., Gutiérrez, R., Sutton, T., Varley Gutiérrez, M. (2010, April). Middle Grade Students Investigating their Schools and Communities in After School Mathematics Clubs. Presentation given as part of symposium titled Students Experiences in Critical Mathematical Learning Environments (PowerPoint)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) 2010 Annual Meeting and Exposition, San Diego, California, April 22-25, 2010 Ross, K., Tsinnajinnie, B., Civil, M. Equity through Group Work: Complex Instruction (CI) Benefiting Diverse Learners ()
- Thompson, A. Socratic Seminar: Fostering Mathematical Discourse for English Language Learners (ELLs) and All Students ()
- Zahner, W. & Velazquez, G. Using Small Groups with Linguistically Diverse Students (PowerPoint)
Sixth International Conference of Mathematics Education and Society, Berlin, Germany, March 20-25, 2010
- Civil, M. (2010, March). Language policy and participation in the mathematics classroom.
National Conference, Helping Mathematics Teachers to Become Culturally Relevant Teachers: New Tools for a New Generation, College Park, Maryland, March 11-12, 2010 (conference sponsored by Maryland Institute for Minority Achievement and Urban Education)
- Civil, M. (2010, March). Cultural responsiveness in teaching mathematics: A Reflection.
- Civil, M. (2010, March). Engaging with parents in conversations about mathematics: An approach to cultural responsiveness.
Practitioners and Researchers Learning Together: A National Conference on the Mathematics Teaching and Learning of Latinos/as, Tucson, Arizona, March 4-6, 2010 (conference sponsored by CEMELA, CPTM, and TODOS)
- Anhalt, C. & Fernandes, A. (2010, March). Beyond Multiple Choice: Task-Based Interviews with Mexican-American Students on NAEP Assessment Items
- Burr, L. (2010, March). The Interaction of Interviewer Questions and Students Mathematical Explanations: A Study of Seventh Grade ELL Students
- Dez-Palomar, J. (2010, March). Contributions to the Research on Mathematics Family Education: The Debate on Participation
- Dominguez, H. (2010, March). Situating Mexican Mothers Dialogue in the Proximities of Contexts of Mathematical Practice
- Kondek McLeman, L., Trujillo, B., Menéndez, J. M., Musanti, S. (2010, March). Teacher Education and Professional Development within CEMELA: Exploring the Reflections of Teachers of Latino/a Students
- Lopez Leiva, C. (2010, March). Juxtaposing Mathematical Identities: Same Students with Different Contexts, Perspectives, and Languages
- Marshall, M. (2010, March). Exploring the Mathematical Thinking of Bilingual Primary-Grade Students: CGI Problem Solving in Kindergarten through 2nd Grade
- Pitvorec, K. (2010, March). Curriculum and Latinas/os: Toward Guiding Principles for Equity and Quality in Mathematics Instruction
- Trujillo, B. (2010, March). How Principals Conceive of Their Leadership Roles in the Implementation of Reform Mathematics Curriculum in Predominantly Hispanic Schools
- Varley Gutiérrez, M. (2010, March). Margaritas Living Theory in Informing a Feminist, Critical Mathematics Education
- Vomvoridi-Ivanovic, E. (2010, March). Using Culture as a Resource in Mathematics: The Case of Mexican American Pre-Service Teachers in a Bilingual After School Program
- Willey, C. (2010, March). Teachers Developing Mathematics Discourse Communities with Latinas/os
- Zahner, W. (2010, March). Insights from Two Studies of Small Group Mathematical Discussions Among Students in Bilingual Classrooms
- Poster Sessions:
- Acosta-Iriqui, J., Civil, M., Dez-Palomar, J., Menéndez, J. M., Quintos Alonso, B. Latino Families and Mathematics Education: Involvement, Perceptions, and Expectations
- Anhalt, C., Ondrus, M. Professional Development for Mathematics Teachers of Latino/a Students: Teaching Area and Perimeter with Algebra Blocks
- Cavell, H. Self-Perceptions of Advanced Mathematical Learners: A Focus on Sixth-Grade Latinos/as
- Dumitrascu, G., Tsinnajinnie, B. Reflections on the Negotiation of a Third Space with English Language Learners: Researchers and Students Communicating Mathematical Ideas During Task-Based Interviews
- Lopez Leiva, C., Torres, Z., Viego, G. Re-socializing the Way We Do Mathematics: The Case of Three Students Participating in the Zone of Mathematical Practice
- Lopez Leiva, C., Velazquez, G. Realistic Considerations and Unit Shifts during Proportional Reasoning ()
- Radosavljevic, A. Re-considering Play and Its Role in Socializing Bilingual Latinas/os to Mathematics
- Romero, E. Teaching the Equal Sign in a Bilingual Context
- Ross, K. Making Norms and Activities Relevant for Latino/a Elementary Students in an After School Mathematics Club
- Simic-Muller, K., Turner, E., Varley Gutiérrez, M. Community-Based Problem Posing in the After School Math Club
- Sutton, T. Perseverance and Students Willingness to Struggle with Nontraditional Complex Mathematical Tasks
- Torres, Z. The Power of Relevant, Real-World Contexts to Support Mathematical Problem Solving Among Latino/a Students: A Case Study
- Tsuchiya, L. Mathematics Education and Equity: If Social Equity is the Goal Will We Get There by Improving Mathematics Achievement?
- Turner, E., Celedón-Pattichis, S., Marshall, M. Mathematical Problem Solving and Discourse in Dual Language and ELL Kindergarten Classrooms
- Turner, E., Gutiérrez, R., Sutton, T. Analysis of Student Participation in an After School Mathematics Club: Implications for Learning and Identity
- University of Illinois, Chicago CEMELA Fellows. Commentary on the Public Discourse of Supporting Teachers of Mathematics with ELLs and the Social Construction of Failure or Success
- University of Illinois, Chicago CEMELA Fellows. Grounded but not Grounded: A Model for Doctoral Education
- Wood, M., Lozano Teran, G., Civil, M. Racing to the Top Through Stopping to Think: Metaphors in Teachers Talk and National Policy
II Congreso Internacional sobre Profesorado Principiante e Insercion Profesional a la Docencia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, February 24-26, 2010
- Musanti, S. I., Marshall, M., Celedón-Pattichis, S. (2010, February). Desarrollo profesional docente situado en el aula: Un proceso colaborativo entre una maestra bilinge principiante e investigadores cualitativos. [Professional development in the classroom: A collaborative process between a bilingual novice teacher and qualitative researchers]
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Web Seminar Series
- Moschkovich, J.N. (2010, January). Language(s) and learning mathematics. Invited web seminar presented online for the National Council of Mathematics Teachers web seminar series, Reston, Virginia.
Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) Fourteenth National Conference, Irvine, California January 28-30, 2010
Symposium chaired by Jose Mara Menéndez: Equity in Mathematics Education: Experiences and Reflections from a Teacher Preparation Program and Professional Development Initiatives
- Celedón-Pattichis, S., Musanti, S., Marshall, M., & Ceballos, K. (2010, January). Situating mathematics professional development: A bilingual kindergarten teacher and researchers collaboration.
- Wood, M., Civil, M., & Menéndez, J. M. (2010, January). The paradoxes of poverty: Teachers perspectives on their students failure to embrace education.
Joint Mathematics Meetings, San Francisco, California January 13-16, 2010
- Menéndez, J. M. (2010, January). Mathematics workshops for parents and children as hybrid spaces.